Before the weekend, all readers who cook ask themselves this eternal question: what do we eat? to inspire the press Here are some suggestions for seasonal recipes that will make your mouth water.
Indulgence: Sunny Ginger and Miso Soup
A bright orange vegetable soup infused with ginger, turmeric, miso and lemon juice that freezes well. I created this soup because I had some carrots and half a squash on hand, but feel free to use just one of the two vegetables. You can leave the slices intact or even put the soup in a blender. If you do not use a blender, chop the vegetables more finely; If not, chop them roughly, which will save you a bit of time. Don’t forget the cottage cheese garnish, which is also delicious with grilled fish, chicken or grilled vegetables.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coconut oil or clarified butter (hey)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5cm (2in) fresh ginger, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1.5 cm (1/2 in.) cubes
- 1 medium pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) cubes
- 1.5 L (6 cups) homemade broth of your choice or water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) miso paste, or to taste
- 1 lemon juice
- sea salt and black pepper
Ingredients for onion stuffing
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) chopped fresh onion
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) sunflower seeds
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1. In a large, deep saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, ginger and turmeric and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- 2. Add the carrots and pumpkin, then pour in the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the curd filling. In another small bowl, mix the miso paste and lemon juice with a few tablespoons of stock in a saucepan until smooth.
- 4. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the mio mixture. In a blender, or using a hand blender, puree the soup (if desired, skip this step and leave the slices intact). Adjust the seasoning, if desired, adding a little miso, salt and pepper or lemon juice. Serve the soup with cottage cheese garnish.
To save time
While you are cooking the onions, start dicing the pumpkin.
Source: Recipe from the book Feed Happy: Cooking Vitaly in less than 30 minutes.
published Press+ on November 29, 2018.
Made fast done well: the Carolina Sesame Sunflower Burger
It’s “the ultimate veggie burger,” says Carolyn Cloutier, a nutritionist. Tested, these meat pies taste good and are satisfying. However, you should pay attention to cooking them well and crushing the beans thoroughly. Warning: Contains animal products (eggs and cheese).
6 for a large burger or 8 for a medium burger
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. Sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp. A tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 C. ground pepper
- 1 C. Paprika
- 1 C. Tablespoons Mrs. Dash
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 C. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (for veggie burgers, some companies make it without anchovies)
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 1. In a large bowl, mix oats, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, parsley and spices.
- 2. In another bowl, mash the black beans with the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce with a fork and add to the first mixture. Mix well until a uniform texture is obtained. Leave for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), place in center of oven.
- 4. Shape 6 pies.
- 5. Heat 5 ml of vegetable oil in a large pan and fry the pies until golden.
- 6. Put the dumplings in the oven for 15 minutes. Eat immediately.
Pancakes can be stored cooked for a week in the refrigerator and can be frozen (preferably cooked).
published Press+ April 24, 2020.
Call me boss! : Meat and pork ragout
A somewhat lengthy recipe that can be cooked in three steps. Pork feet, meatballs and stew sauce. Advantages: can be made in advance, can be cooked separately, freezes very well.
8 per person
At least 4 hours before cooking, ideally 1 day before, the boiled broth will be used to prepare the sauce.
Ingredients Step 1: Preparation of pork feet
- 4 kg pork legs with bark
- 2 tbsp. Canola oil
- 4 chopped yellow onions
- 4 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5-8 black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. Celery seeds
- 1 star anise
- 3 teeth
- 3-4 pepper seeds or 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 tbsp. Apple vinegar
- Water enough to cover everything
Preparation of the first stage: preparation of pork legs
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, caramelize onions in canola oil, add all other ingredients, then pan pork, cover with water, no more.
- 2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 2½ hours.
- 3. Remove the pork feet from the broth, put them in a sieve, put the broth in the refrigerator.
- 4. Allow the pork legs to cool, remove the bones and remove the pieces of meat, place in another container, put in the refrigerator.
Ingredients Step 2: Meatballs
- 500 g of minced lean pork
- 1 French shallot or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 C. minced garlic
- 1 C. Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 C. salt
- 1 egg
- 60 ml of milk
- 4 tbsp. Bread crumbs
Makes 24 meatballs
Step 2 Preparation: dumplings
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 2. Place the milk and eggs in a bowl, beat lightly with a fork, mix in the breadcrumbs and all other ingredients except the pork. Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in ground pork.
- 3. With oiled hands, form 24 balls, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, set aside, cool the meatballs.
Ingredients Step 3: Stew Sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pork stew broth, fat
Step 3 Preparation: Ragu sauce
- 1. Heat the flour on a heavy bottom (cast iron) pan over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until a light caramel color is obtained. Reservation. The darker the flour, the more its thickening power disappears, part of the starch is transformed into dextrin.
- 2. Bring the fatty pork broth to a boil, add the roasted flour with a whisk or a mini stand mixer, boil for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- 3. At this point you can add the meatballs and pork chops and simmer for another 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend well.
- potatoes in rice
- Yellow and red beets
Source: Recipe from Chef Anne Desjardins.
Posted on lapresse.ca on December 11, 2017.
Guilty pleasure: Chocolate chip cookies
Undoubtedly one of the best pastry chefs in Quebec, Chef Patrice Demers shares this recipe from his latest book. sweet route.
“Finding the perfect cookie was a challenge I set for myself. For me, I have to top it generously with big chunks of dark chocolate. I found it very thick, slightly crispy on the outside, but above all, very soft in the middle. »
“To achieve this result, I only use brown sugar in my cookies. Since it contains more moisture and molasses, you’ll get a softer cookie than using white sugar. Brown sugar, on the other hand, makes the cookies spread a bit more during baking. To remedy the situation, I bake my cakes in cake rings. »
“Leaving the dough in the fridge for at least twelve hours before baking also helps give them a nicer texture and helps the dough caramelize better. Otherwise, do me a favor at the store and freeze the pre-balled cookies. This allows us to bake several times a day and get what my wife Marie-José thinks is the best cookie in the world! »
Preparation: 15 minutes
Rest time: 12 hours
Preparation: 12 minutes
- 500 g (2 ¼ cups) dark brown sugar
- 275 g (1 ¼ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 vanilla pods, split and grated
- 100 g (2 units) eggs
- 40 g (2 units) of egg yolk
- 520 g (3 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 C. flour
- ¼ tsp. Baking soda
- 450g (1lb) dark chocolate, chopped into large chunks (I use Guanaja 70% from Valrhona)
- 1. Using a mixer with the flat beater, mix the brown sugar, butter and vanilla well for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- 2. Add egg and yolk. Mix just enough to make them fit well. At this stage, it is important not to introduce too much air into the dough, otherwise the cookies may puff up and then spring back.
- 3. Sift flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Pour this mixture into the mixer along with the chocolate pieces. Mix on low speed until smooth.
- 4. Cut the cookies into 85g balls (about ¼ cup) and place in an airtight container. Refrigerate the dough for at least 12 hours before baking.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes. To get cookies that don’t fall apart during baking, I use tartlet circles 8 cm (3 inches) in diameter.
good to know
Resting the cookie dough for at least 12 hours before baking allows the dry ingredients to better absorb the moisture from the eggs. Accordingly, biscuits are obtained with a more beautiful color and a more complex aroma. If you don’t have time 12 hours before preparing the dough, we still recommend putting the cookies in the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Cold butter prevents cookies from spreading when baking when you’re not using cake rings.
Source: Recipe from the book Sweet course By Patrice Demery.
published Press+ on November 18, 2019.