An aromatic herb typical of Mediterranean cuisine, basil adapts to all types of dishes, whether sweet or savory. If you had a hard time including it in the menu, the editors have prepared a 4-star recipe with basil for you to check immediately!
Recipes with fresh basil: an idea without pesto without pine nuts
Have you finally succeeded in growing basil and now have lots of beautiful blooming leaves? The question immediately arises: what to do with fresh basil? We will answer you right away: homemade pesto recipe, which is probably the most famous dish prepared with this flavor. Here are the ingredients you need for the pine nut-free version:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of ice water. Remove the stems from the basil leaves and place in a stainless steel jar. Plunge into boiling water to blanch the leaves for a maximum of 15 seconds. Remove the leaves and place in ice water to stop fermentation. Then press between two sheets to absorb the water. Place the basil, garlic, toasted walnuts and lemon in a blender and blend until finely chopped.
Then add Parmesan and pour ½ cup of olive oil and mix until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more garlic, nuts, cheese or olive oil if needed. Transfer to an airtight jar, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and refrigerate. Your basil pesto recipe without pine nuts is ready to eat!
Recipe for tomato and basil sauce to accompany your pasta
In addition to being the perfect accompaniment to pasta, this simple and delicious sauce also pairs well with meat or fish. This is actually one of the easiest fresh basil recipes to make. So get the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 400 g of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable broth powder
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- A teaspoon of sugar
- A few basil leaves
Stages of preparation:
- First, heat olive oil in a pan. Then add the garlic clove and saute for a minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, powdered vegetable stock, tomato puree and sugar. Then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, chop the basil leaves before adding to the sauce. Mix well to coat everything.
Spicy chicken with Thai basil: an exotic dish for dinner
Ingredients to get:
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 450g finely chopped boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of pepper
- 1 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups of hot cooked rice, serve
Method of preparation:
In a bowl, mix the chicken broth, sauces and sugar well. Next, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the shallots, garlic and chopped pepper. Continue to cook over high heat until juices caramelize on bottom of pan, 2-3 minutes more. Then pour in about a tablespoon of the sauce mixture and cook for about a minute while stirring.
Pour the rest of the sauce. Cook, stirring, until the bottom of the pan is browned. Continue cooking for another 1 or 2 minutes and remove from heat. Finally, add the basil and continue to cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Serve with rice as a side dish.
Recipes with basil or hummus that will delight the taste buds of your guests
A cross between pesto and traditional hummus, this recipe with basil and lemon is super easy to make and requires the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 cans of 400 g chickpeas, wash and squeeze
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- About 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp salt
- A teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
First, toast the pine nuts. To do this, heat them in a small pan over medium-high heat. Start stirring when they start to color. When most of the pine nuts are lightly browned, remove from heat and place in a bowl to cool.
Place the basil leaves and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until finely chopped. Add the washed and drained chickpeas, most of the pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, tomato puree and Tabasco sauce. Blend until the hummus is smooth and uniform. Add Tabasco, salt or lemon juice to taste. Finally, if necessary, add water until the desired consistency is reached.